Re: Bad mom!

In a message dated 97-11-22 19:56:51 EST, George wrote:

<< How long should I wait to take out the fry`s or would I be better off
 taking out the parents.

The parents will usually spawn about 8 or 9 days after the previous spawn is
free swimming, but this depends on a number of factors relating to age, diet,
a broad spectrum of water conditions, and the individual fish themselves.  I
would wait no more than six days, and it is easier to move the parents,
although if the tank is on an upper shelf, the fry can be siphoned to a lower
tank with reasonable ease.[there's a long sentence for you!!]  I suspect that
siphoning the fry is the prefered method by most of the folks on this list,
but that is based purely on conjecture, and not any formal survey.  Perhaps
we could get an informal poll going from anyone who cares to answer.  Perhaps
somene has had trouble with one method or the other that we may find useful.
 I was having trouble with belly-sliders the first couple times I siphoned
the fry, but I seem to have solved that by filling at least 60% of the
receiving tank with water from the original spawning tank.

Bob