Re: tetras

Steven Hutchins wrote:

> Hey,
>         I know this is not directly apisto related, sorry.
>         If anyone has any info on where I could obtain (preferably mail-order)
> small African tetras (Neolabias sp.) or African barbs (ie Barbus jae) I
> would appreciate it.  I am setting up a tank for some kind of
> Pelvicichromis or Nanachromis, but I don't want to put a bunch of huge
> Congo tetras in with them.  Thanks
>                                 STeve
Hi Steve,
	I'm keeping and breeding Neolebias ansorgi and N powelli. They aren't
fish you could ever keep with a Pelvicachromis or Nanaochromis. They're
extrememly timid, secretive creatures. I had some in with
Aplocheilicthys macropthalmus, a delicate little lampeye killie, and the
neolebias were dominated.
	Try Epiplatys killies - they are fry predators but are otherwise
attractive hardy dither fish for West African set-ups. You could get
some through the American Killifish Association. There are some slightly
larger African tetras, but they ain't lookers. Lampeyes (Aplocheilicthys
or Procatopus) would also be an excellent choice.
- -Gary