Fwd: Re: Rift lake cichlids without lake salts -Reply

Wilfred wrote:
>the effect of the shells in your filter is that chalk (shells)
increases the
>hardness of the water. So you have a buffer for the pH. In soft water
everything
>(food...) decreases the pH. With the buffer of calcium... in the tank
the
>changing of pH takes more time. A better (because faster) effect you
can reach
>if you put some pieces of chalk (regular chalk for writing at a table)
into your
>filter. Try it and be surprised.
>
>Good luck
>Wilfred

I have been using dolomite powder to harden my water.  It's available at
Orchard Supply Hardware in the concrete department in 50lb. sacks for
about $8.00 (don't recall exactly, lasts a long time). It's used for
whitening concrete and is called Dolomark.  I just throw a handful of it
into the tank.  It clouds the water for about a day.  A friend of mine
says that dolomite contains calcium and magnesium.  I haven't killed
anything yet with it in using it with some various Tanganyikan and
Malawan cichlids.  A friend of mine uses it with his delicate
Tanganyikan killifish.