Re: Biogas

Hi Thomas,
                   I 've read about this system of biogas production
and the main points against it are:
1) its hard to control the amount of  carbon dioxide  produced
2) you can get more than carbon dioxide produced such as hydrogen
sulphide and ammonia as your yeast batch becomes exhauseted as well
as various alcohols produced.

I suppose the way to overcome this would be to replace your yeast
batch on a regular basis. You can also clean up your carbon dioxide
to some extent by bubbling your carbon dioxide through another bottle
of water before it goes into the tank, this I've read is supposed to
improve it in terms of removing some of the unwanted gases etc.
 I think a careful eye though should be kept on your yeast batch
especially if keeping sensitive fish such as apistos.

 While writing about this I thought of an old chemistry experiment
from school that used marble chips and hydrochloric acid to produce
carbon dioxide. This system could be adapted at home by using some
form of calcium carbonate ie chalk, sea shells, marble chips or
bicarbonate of soda (used for baking) with some form of weak
acid such as vinegar (acetic acid) or citric acid (citric acid is
available for cooking and from chemists- at least in the UK). You
could then stick these into the same type of vessel as you would for
the yeast and sugar and let the carbon dioxide bubble into the tank.
You may have to watch the supply as the rate of production of carbon
dioxide could be alot faster (depending on what ingredients you use
and whether the chalk etc is powdered).
  Both methods are cheap but the 2nd method avoids the production of
unwanted gases etc.
 I would be interested to hear peoples thoughts on this and
experiences of the 2nd method as i've tried neither.

Brendan
Brendan McEvoy
Dept Of Cell and Molecular Development
University Of Warwick