Re: A. nijsenni

Ed wrote:

<<   The
> Killifish people are also keeping ttack of killies by some kind of key
> based on (I think) the collection trip and the locale.  It's not too
> hard to imagine the apisto hobby going that route as the bewildering
> assortment of names for undescribed species and subspecies grows.  There
> was a suggestion that this should be done in an earlier posting on this
> list.   >>

Killie keepers can maitain this system primarily because the majority of the
wild stock is brought in by collector-hobbyists, not commercial ventures.  The
industry in general has shown little interest in importing wild killies, in
spite of their brilliant coloration.  But with our fav-fish, commercial
importation is becoming more and more common.  It would be great, but there is
no profit in note-taking, only in the actual livestock.

If we could solve that, it would be great.  If those fortunate few of us who
do collect were to establish a system, perhaps starting with the already
common use of terms like "Rio Mamore", and "Rio Tefe", and building on that,
It would be great, even if it only was maintained among the growing network ok
Apistophiles who are online and in groups like the ACA and ASG.  Today I
learned that there are color morphs of brichardi.  It would be useful to know
the locations of the various populations, just as it would the multitudinous
aggies, borelliis, and others.

Perhaps we could establish a map of the Apisto range, and post the identified
known locations of the various species and sub-strains on it?  This would be
cool, eh?

Bob