Re: P. Teaniatus Wori and Taeniatus "Nigerian Redface"

AEIGPHD@aol.com wrote:

> I just received 5 of each of these fish (all F1's)and placed them in tanks
> excited to breed them. The Wori (3 females and 2 males) are in a 55 planted
> tank with a pair of N. Trans. and a pair of subocellatus. Ph is 6.9 soft
> water, Congo tetras and 2 pair of small killies (a. garderi) are also in the
> tank.  Anyone have any suggestions or tips? The Wori need to grow out a bit
> they are about 1".  The "Nigerian Redface" look like sub-o's and they may just
> be that.  The breeder I got them from claims that the person who caught his
> wild pair said that these fish are not in any books.  Anybody know anything
> about them?
>
>                                                                         Andy

Andy,

It would be interesting to find out who bred the "Nigerian Red Face" as
it would be the person who collected them from the wild. I would imagine
that if the collector were a private party, he would be from a European
country as I am not aware of any North American hobbyists visiting the
country of Nigeria in recent times.  The person who bred these fish must
certainly enjoy West African cichlids, Pelvicachromis taeniatus Wouri is
a beautiful form from Western Cameroon, different from most others.  It
is a delicate fish and while the section in Linke and Staeck is very
informative I have found that the males are quite attractive.  The
females are every bit as nice as any taeniatus form. The golden region
in the upper part of the body really shines when they are courting. I
have found it much more sensitive to water quality than other localities
of taeniatus and this is saying alot for a species which, as a whole,
have been known to be a bit of a challenge! While Wouri might be a
challenge, you have a very nice fish.

Does anyone out there know of anyone who is bringing in wild fish from
the Cameroons?  While some of the bigger American importers were doing
this for awhile, I don't think that they found it financially
worthwhile.  Again, our European friends are the ones who really
appreciate these fish.

												Steve