Re: Flowerpots as caves.

>I am going get a couple of dwarf cichlids, and I was wondering how
>flowerpots is used as caves.
>
>Do I turn it up side down, and break a little of the rim, so the
>cichlids can enter?
>
>Which size and type (material) of pot is the bedst?
>
>Is it better to find rocks, and build the caves myself? And if so, do I
>have to glue them together with silicone?
>
>Thanks in advance
>Peter.

Intro: My name is Mike Downey and I live near Lexington, KY. I have had
aquariums since I was 12. (A long time ago=VBG:-) )
I was into the East African cichlids in the late 60s and early 70s.
I wholesaled and raised many varieties.
I have mostly West Africans now, with a few apistos.
I keep Pelvicichromis taeniatus in the following varieties:
Kienke-Moliwe-Lokoundje-Nigeria yellow-Nigeria green-Wouri
I have Pevic. pulcher in the "red" variety and the "yellow" variety from
Nigeria (ref. Cichlid News -Jan '92)
I have Pelvic. sp. "Guinea" or "purple humilis"
I have Pelvic roliffi

Now back to the questions from Peter. I use 4" (10cm) clay pots with a hole
about
5cm up the side. This must be cut with a hole saw in a drill or "scratched"
with an awl until it breaks out.

The BEST caves are from Kaveman. They are handcrafted and fit in the
aquaria almost undetected. They look like stones and come with or without
bottoms. See them at
http://www.commonwealth.net/mall/don.html
My fish will spawn in a cave like this everytime if given a choice. (an hav
never used a clay pot)

Hope this helps