Re: Cacatuoides EGGS!!! Yiippee,, I'm a eg

Vicky,

Hi and congratulations on the eggs,

I was wondering just what steps you go thru to condition your water. Mainly the
peat usage. I am using pure RO water, adding trace elements, adding sodium
bicarbonate for buffering, and using Aqua Lab's PH Minus.(lots of phosphate!) I
dont have any problem getting the PH down to 6.5, but I would like to try and set
up a tank for my Iniridae and I've been told this fish needs aq PH of 5.0 or
lower. If I use the same stuff to get down to 5.0 the phosphate level would be
terribly high and of course here would come the algae(YUCK!) Could you share a
little of your technics.
I thought I only had two females, but after getting them out of that lfs tank(7.8
PH!) and into a soft water 6.5 PH one of them is showing a dark stripe at a 45
degree angle from his eyes back to under the gill plates, and a wide dark band
running down the side of the body, the blue specks around the gill plates are
brighter too. The other has stayed quite bland looking, just a light brown orange
color all over.(could be a sneeker male, hope not)

Thanks,
Tim