Re: Apisto ID

In a message dated 4/27/98 1:50:31 PM, gacasey@ibm.net wrote:

<<They are labeled as Macmasteri and Agassizi.
However they don't at all look like that to me or to the store mgr. They
have a shape similar to Agassizi but the dorsal is much higher at the
leading edge "first rays??" and they have small blue dots all over their
heads and "shoulders" all the way to back to the first few rays of the
dorsal fin. The tails, at present are rounded, however the fish are
barely 3/4-1 inch long. They are slender bodied but not as slender as T.
Candidi. To me it looks like A. Bitaeniata.>>

If it is A bitaeniata then there should be one clear longitudinal line about
mid body which extends partially into the tail fin.  A second, parrallel line
below the first one is less noticeable depending on the fishes mood. The
second through seventh or eighth rays of the dorsal are extended.  The tail,
however, is lyre shaped, liked A. cacatuoides.  Take a close look at the
male(s) and see if you can see any hint of the top and bottom rays starting to
extend.  If the tail is truly  rounded, then it rules out bitaeniata, as well
as all my second choices.. I presume from your description that you mean that
the rays (spines) are extended in the front part of the dorsal, not that the
whole dorsal is high?
Hope this helps, good luck.  My advice would be to pick up a pair ( if you can
sex them) and work on the ID when you get them home.  When they get
comfortable, they may show secondary characteristics more clearly, and of
course as they grow they will be easier to ID>
Jeff
WndrKdnomo@aol.com
P.S.  As for as Thomas Park's posts are concerned, I know my posts concerning
him were not meant as flames, I was just confused as to wether it was
intentional or wether there was some type of technical F***K up.