Re: A. Resticulosa Blue Mask

I'd love to see a photo if possible too. I have what was sold to me as A.
reticulosa "Red Mask". With input from many various sources (and my own
observations of the 1 male) I have come to the conclusion that the male
reticulosa will develop a "blue mask" early on and add a "red mask" later.
For reference check out my photos. Distinguishing characteristics of A.
reticulosa is the black edging on all of the scales as well as the blue
sheen. A few spawns but no fry yet - they are my next project!

Young male:
http://www2.rpa.net/~debrown/reticulosa2.jpg (also 1 and 3)

Mature male:
http://www2.rpa.net/~debrown/dret1.jpg (and 2)

>George,
>
>There is a "Blue mask" apisto being sold out of Asia.  I've never seen it,
>but my
>old pen pal (Yup, pre-internet) Graham Rowe got some of these in Australia
>recently.  After several emails back and forth he came to the conclusion that
>they are either a very colorful form of A. sp. Blauglanz or something really
>close to it.
>The resticulosa-complex of regani-group has 15 species discussed in the
>scientific and hobby literature.  Undoubtedly several are just
>geographical color
>populations of the same species but there are at least 9 valid species in the
>complex. Telling them apart requires good pictures and an eye for the subtle
>differences in the finnage, and dark markings.  I'd be interested in
>seeing this
>species for myself!
>
>Mike Wise

-Doug Brown