Re: Leaf Litter? Was APD.

On a recent visit to the vancouver aquarium,I noticed quite a few leaves
of the Coccoloba uvifera tree missing....now i know where they went  :)

Steve
Van B.C

>Ed, Pon wrote:
>
> In the past couple of weeks, leaf litter became a topic.  There was
> mention
> of people using beech and oak leaves.  Are there other types of trees
> which have leaves and/or branches which can be safely used as
> leaf litter for apistos?  Did anybody do any experiments in this regard
> that they wouldn't mind sharing?

Hi Ed,

I have used Coccoloba uvifera leaves with great success. The common name
of this plant (tree) is the Sea Grape. The leaves are olive-green and
very stiff. When they have been soaked in water for a while, they turn a
rich brown colour and become water logged. Unfortunately, this plant is
not common in homes as it is really a tree, however, it may be worth
cultivating a small one, if you have the space. I have access to this
plant at my work (Vancouver Aquarium) in the Amazon Gallery where we
have four of the trees. They regularly have leaves falling off. I have
had Satanoperca leucosticta and Microgeophagus ramirezi use them for
spawning. Now that I have some Apistogramma (from a recent trip to
Peru), I'll collect some again for them to use.

Hope this helps.

Lee