Re: DNA research? (was: apisto sp ampiyacu)

Gary,

To my knowledge, no one is working on Apistogramma taxonomy to any extent at this
time.  That includes standard physical taxonomy and DNA studies.

I, too, wish the taxonomy of the Rotpunkt species was being worked on. Kullander
first introduced the Rotpunkt Apisto to the hobby in 1974 (as A. sp. aff.
taeniatum). Since then we have discovered its distribution and everything else
needed to make a good scientific description, but no one is interested in
describing it. It's a shame, too, because this species (group of species?) forms
an interesting position in the phylogeny of Apistogramma species-group and one of
the dispersal routes of apistos from the Amazon Basin into Orinoco Basin.

Mike Wise