Re: Problem

On Sat, 5 Sep 1998, Mike Downey wrote:

> I have a problem with treating my Pelvic. humilis. This is the third male
> with the same symptoms. The fish are very healthy and some were here almost
> one year before the problem starts. First there is a greyish white blotch
> on the skin of the face area and usually under the eye. This becomes a hole
> as if the skin and flesh melt or rot away.
> Of the 3 males , the first I treated with Maracyn 1 and 2 with little or no

Mike,

I hate fish disease stuff because it always feels like black magic to me.
I try treating, never clear what is going on.  You talked to the expert
too at ACA.  Definitely not as easy as treating humans.

Just some ideas....

..a couple possibilities include Aeromonas and Pseudomonas, both are gram
negative rods (GNR) that cause fin rot.  They are common in the aquariums
(as well as hospitals) and usually just affect stressed fish.  Rec's for
treatment are salt, frequent water changes (which you do) and antibiotics.
Now Maracyn in Erythromycin I believe....not good for GNR's, used to treat
gram positive organisms.  Maracyn 2...can't recall what drug that is...let
me know.  If it is minocycline, it is a little better for GNR and also
covers mycobacterium and tuberculous organisms (fine for fish TB but not
human TB...human is 3+ drugs in combination).

Another thing it could be is hole in the head disease...hexamita, that you
treat with metronidazole (aka Flagyl)

Neomycin isn't a bad gram neg. drug....but a pretty strong drug, haven't
tried it for fish yet.

I would say try metronidazole....salt and water changes, or if you had
enough hospital tanks do two different treatments.

Sorry to hear about your fish, it always makes me sick to see one of my
prized fish die a little day by day.

Good luck,

Kathy

(ps let me know what works, hopefully someone will have more direct
experience with this)