Apisto Stores in Seattle

Hopefully this won't be so off-topic that Frank has to reprimand me...

The Fish Store is at 61st and Roosevelt, just north of the U-district. If
you go to TFS (which has good plants, which you may be interested in given
the speaker at GSAS this month:), also check out Fin and Feather, 20
blocks south, on 45th, between Roosevelt and I-5.  Smaller volume, but
sometimes very interesting fish.

There's a second The Fish Store in Bellevue (across the Lake), which in
the past has been better than TFS Seattle, but currently suffers from a
large staff changeover... if you've got time, check them out.  They have
some of our larger A. steindachneri we sold them 5 months ago.  And if
you're travelling, Fish Gallery & Pets down in Renton (be careful; they
have three stores, but the Renton one is the best) also tends to get
interesting Apistos at good prices a little more often than other stores.
The Fish Store is definitely the best stocked right now, between Dave &
Kathy & some guy who left the hobby a couple months ago and sold all his
pairs to TFS (which is why there's a few random onesies-twosies of some
species).

If you're going to make a day of it, you must visit Leim's exotic bird and
fish shop, which has its entrance from an ALLEY in the International
District.  It's very hard to describe Leim's:  They have home-built glass
tanks and weird sponge filters haphazardly constructed out of jars. All
the dry goods are stashed in nooks and crannies in the rafters above.
It's very dark and small.  They have chickens.  We found our A.
steindachneri stock there, totally unlabeled.  Kathy talked him down from
$3 per fish to $2 if she took the entire tank of them.  We did a
double-acclimation cycle and kept them quarantined for an extra month.
Typically they don't have anything we'd be remotely interested in.  But
Leim's is the only place we ever see things like Altum Angels. It's
unique. Oh, about 3 blocks from Leim's, on Jackson, is Crystal Aquarium,
owned by a friend of ours who's now president of GSAS.  She's still very
much a new fish store owner, but she gets a few species of apistos (last
time we were there she had "Rotpunkt" and a couple others).  The
clientelle down in the International district is distinctly different,
mostly wanting goldfish, Koi and Arowanna, so the stores tend to have
different stock.

Some of these addresses may be found in the GSAS Sponsor List, at
www.gsas.org/Sponsors/

The others you might just have to find in the phone book when you get
here.  One of my many projects for the club website may be a fish store
locator for the city.

  - Erik

> Could you post the address of The Fish Store ,and your next best choice
> in the area. I'll be in Seattle on the 13 Oct. to the GSAS meeting,and
> would like to make a day of it.

---
Erik D. Olson
erik at thekrib.com (fails? try eriko at wrq.com)