Re: D. Maculata

On Thu, 17 Sep 1998, Mike & Diane Wise wrote:

> The orange ventrals sent up an immediate flag. Do they all have orange ventrals?
> If so, they are almost certainly all females! Males have blue to purple ventral
> fins and much more colorful tails. Only females who have spawned will show the
> orange ventrals. As to price, only you can determine what they're worth to you
> but $10.00 seems fair to me.

Mike,

I saw a batch of D. filamentosum with the orange ventrals and some very
obvoius males.  We picked up four.  On male and tree smaller with the
orange ventrals.  They acutally ended up turning into males.  All except
one.  Any idea on this.  They were juveniles.  My assumption was that I
couldn't use the orange ventral to sex young fish.

Now with my adults that I have had in the past, I whole hearted agree with
you.  We had a female who lacked the red orange fin until after she had
spawned.

Kathy