RE: small fish

Much of this discussion goes back to the 1960's, both in the hobby as well
as the science. And it's all related stuff: genetics, food, water changing,
etc.

Growth Inhibiting Substances are probably more generated by males than
females--I'm not aware of any specific studies which indicate this, but it
seems logical--and affects conspecifics from fry to tankmates. And probably
has an effect on female attraction as well. Just look at butterflies as they
attract their mates with 'hormones'.

Sub-males are that way for purposes of camouflage as well as nefarious
purposes (breeding), while fry are trying to grow--but if papa doesn't want
competition from another male, why not excrete something that warns others
(males) and also has an effect on fry?

With enough water changes, size equality can be had with conspecific males,
and almost the same coloration--but behaviour and getting beat up by the
alpha male may keep them subdued and not in quite the best of color.

But additionally, the quantity and quality of food is significant as
well--as is the size of the food. The better the food (live, frozen, flake
(in that order)) and better the protein (worms of various sorts, 'meat',
brine shrimp) or better vegetation (for those that it that sort of stuff),
fed more often, and coupled with adequate water changes will produce, as has
been demonstrated in various experiments/tests, a faster growth rate. It was
almost inconsequential whether it was with parents, a parent, or alone for a
number of the tests (livebearers and cichlids and another group I don't
recall). One of the caveats to this is that while worms may have more
protein, fry are unable to eat them, so bbs, which may be 'less' in protein
will substitute--but once the fry get bigger, they can handle the higher
'rated' protein and will show their growth spurts as a result.

On a high protein rate, a multiple (frequent) feeding schedule, and adequate
water changes will make a difference in any regime.