Re: Nitrogen Cycle in low pH

rvitko@ix.netcom.com wrote:

> It should also be noted that biological filtration (for ammonia) is
> virtually useless in tanks with pH values below 5.5. The
> bacteria shut down (possibly die) at the low values we use in black
> water breeding tanks. ?????
>
> Bacteria cause ulcers in the human stomach pH 2.0.

There's bacteria and there's bacteria. There are also bacteria that live in near
boiling water at hydrothermal vents on the bottom of the ocean, but these aren't
the nitrifying bacteria we use in our aquaria.

> The above statement
> is completely untrue, take a nitrate reading in an old blackwater tank,
> how did that get their if the bacteria are all dead. The nitrogen cycle
> at worst becomes non nitrosomonas/nitrobacter dependent.

Believe it or not Nirtosomonas & Nitrobacter species are not the nitrifying
bacteria found in our aquaria. A study a few years ago (I don't have the
reference at hand right now) couldn't find sufficient numbers to qualify as the
dominant nitrifying bacteria in our tanks!

> With billions
> of strains of bacteria you can bet someone is in their doing something!

For all those doubting Thomases out there I'd suggest you read the following
reference:

Rudd, et. al. 1988. Disruption of the nitrogen cycle in acidified lakes. Science
240: 1515-1517.Mike Wise