Re: Pseudocrenilabrus (was:Vierke definition)

The wise Mike Wise wrote:

>Well, Bob, I'd say most shell dwellers & julies meet the criteria regarding
size &
>temperament. The ASG decided not to include papers on these fish because
there are
>so many other forums for rift lake cichlids. As technical editor for the
ASG I've
>tried to simplify the d.c. definition to include only dwarf genera. These
include,
>in South America: Apistogramma, Apistogrammoides, Biotoecus, Dicrossus,
>Microgeophagus, Nannacara, & Taeniacara.  West African genera include:
>Anomalochromis, Nanochromis, Parananochromis, Pelvicachromis, and
Thysochromis.
>There are several genera that are borderline: Neotropical - Cleithracara,
>Crenicara, Guianacara, Laetacara, & Teleocichla; West African -
Chromidotilapia,
>Limbochromis, & Steatocranus. Even the borderline genera leave out such
nice
>little fish as Hemichromis cf. cristatus, Tilapia joka,  T. ruweti, & your
>Pseudocrenilabris multicolor (My Ps. m. victoriae male killed everything
smaller
>than himself in the tank - incuding 3 females. He's lived very well in
solitary
>confinement in a 10 gallon tank for the past 3 years.) . Articles on fish
like
>these can always be published at the discretion of the Editor, however.
Now, the
>ASG Steering Committee has decided to even accept papers on dwarf pike
cichlids of
>the Crenicichla wallacii-group because so many dwarf cichlid people have an
>interest in them and other forums aren't including them.
>
>Mike Wise

Articles on intermediate-sized cichlids may be found in ACARA, The Journal
of the South American Cichlid Study Group.   Lee Newman, the acting editor
may have more to say on this but you MAY find articles on dwarf cichlids as
well.

For additional info, check out:
http://www.geocities.com/NapaValley/5491/sudy_group.html

Even so called dwarf pikes are hard to generalize - I've seen a 6"
aquarium-raised Crenicichla regani.  They never get that big in the wild.
OTOH an undescribed Creni from Xingu gets only about 2 inches long.  Same
story with Teleocichla and Laetacara but I certainly would not classify
Guianacara a dwarf.

Vinny Kutty
Publisher, ACARA
vkutty@prodigy.net