Re: Pseudocrenilabrus (was:Vierke definition)

IDMiamiBob@aol.com wrote:

> While the ASG concentrates on fish of S. America and West Africa, do fish like
> shell dwellers and julies meet this dwarf behavioral pattern?
>
> Bob Dixon

Well, Bob, I'd say most shell dwellers & julies meet the criteria regarding size &
temperament. The ASG decided not to include papers on these fish because there are
so many other forums for rift lake cichlids. As technical editor for the ASG I've
tried to simplify the d.c. definition to include only dwarf genera. These include,
in South America: Apistogramma, Apistogrammoides, Biotoecus, Dicrossus,
Microgeophagus, Nannacara, & Taeniacara.  West African genera include:
Anomalochromis, Nanochromis, Parananochromis, Pelvicachromis, and Thysochromis.
There are several genera that are borderline: Neotropical - Cleithracara,
Crenicara, Guianacara, Laetacara, & Teleocichla; West African - Chromidotilapia,
Limbochromis, & Steatocranus. Even the borderline genera leave out such nice
little fish as Hemichromis cf. cristatus, Tilapia joka,  T. ruweti, & your
Pseudocrenilabris multicolor (My Ps. m. victoriae male killed everything smaller
than himself in the tank - incuding 3 females. He's lived very well in solitary
confinement in a 10 gallon tank for the past 3 years.) . Articles on fish like
these can always be published at the discretion of the Editor, however. Now, the
ASG Steering Committee has decided to even accept papers on dwarf pike cichlids of
the Crenicichla wallacii-group because so many dwarf cichlid people have an
interest in them and other forums aren't including them.

Mike Wise