Re: cupido WAS: Mazarunia et al

Kym,

Herbie might slap a libel suit on me, so I wont comment on the books you've
been reading.

Lee Newman (who's most likely reading this from Vancouver) and I collected
Biotodoma a couple of months ago in pH 6.2 water in RIo Momon and the
conductivity was about 50-80 uS  depending on where you were.  About 100
miles east of there, we again collected them, a prettier variety, in a lake
with neutral pH and slightly higher conductivity.

Another 1000 miles down river, i caught these fish in pH 5.4 water and no
hardness.

I know Lee collected the Rio Negro a couple of years ago, perhaps he will
comment on the water conditions there.

Biotodoma is found in white, and black waters.  People are surprised to find
white water pH often as high as 7.4 (I know I was) but I suggest lowering
the pH to about 6 if you want to breed these fish.

I've kept this fish before in hard alkaline water and could never get them
to breed.  Hats off to anyone who can breed them.

Hope that helps.

Vinny
vkutty@prodigy.net
http://www.geocities.com/NapaValley/5491/