Re: buffering

> Date: Sat, 24 Oct 1998 09:38:34 EDT
> From: IDMiamiBob@aol.com
>
> Plants are tolerant of a wide range of conditions.  I am learning that plants
> are, however, far harder to keep alive in an aquarium than are fish.  They
> tend to languish away without proper light, nutrients and substrate.

Do it the easy way - grow floating plants.  Many of them, such as water sprite
(Ceratopteris), hornwort (Ceratophyllum), Amazon frogbit (Limnobium laevigata)
and duckweed (Lemna) do well under low light conditions.  They also seem to
calm the fish, which are sometimes nervous about an open surface.  THe fish
will spend more time in the upper regions of a tank that is covered with
floating plants.

Floating plants are generally fast-growing, and really suck up the pollutants,
also known as plant nutrients.  The roots and other submerged parts provide
good shelter and lots of surface for the growth of microcritters that fry
can eat.