Re: Amazonia at Washington Zoo

>     At the time, I was not heavily into apisto's, and don't remember
>what they were keeping.  What impressed me the most were their 5 - 6
>foot Red Tailed South American catfish!  The arowanas were probaly 3 - 4
>ft.

Just to add my bit to this big Amazonian fish sub-thread, while in Vancouver
last month I went to the Vancouver Aquarium and was blown away by a tank
called something like "Giants of the Amazon" with various large Pacus,
shovelnose cats, red tailed cats, and Arapaimas sp.  The last was the most
amazing as until then it had just been a cool fish from the books.

Returning to smaller fish I also recall seeing some Biotodoma  and
Crencichla regani. Very cool.

Andy
samaroo@aracnet.net