Re: New Fish Room

At 11:01 PM 10/29/98 -0500, you wrote:
>Folks.............A request.  In about 3 weeks my new fish room
>What I would like to ask of you guys is if this were your new room what 1 or
>2 things would you insist on in terms of making a fish-room
>work.

Mike, I have never built one but I swear if I ever did.....

The prime requirement is for tons of changing water.  To do this I would
establish a Tyndallization/conditioning system.  The incoming tap would go
thru a counter-current heat exchanger (probably concentric copper pipes) to
a large holding tank (bathtub?) held at about 160F.  The holding tank would
have an automatic doser dosing Amquel (or an equivalent).   Then the cooled
effluent would be dripped into the tanks, with an automatic level drain to
ensure no overflows.  Hypodermic needles would be used as low flow rate
valves (I was thinking of killies when I designed this system).

I think you would have really clean water and no introduced pathogens.  And
minimum energy requirements, and what energy was used could also heat the
room (in winter).  And the effluent could be sold for plant watering as it
is relatively high nitrogen.

If you fly me to FL I will help you build it!

--
Dave Gomberg, San Francisco            mailto:gomberg@wcf.com
http://www.wcf.com/wcf