Re: New Fish Room

Mike,
A few things to think about with the new room. I have been
building/remodeling  my hatchery for the past year and have wished at
times that someone would have written down all the interesting things I
have "discovered."
Plan your water disposal system prior to your water delivery system.
Cities flood because of poor drainage planning...the inbound plan was
already in place.
Plan for channels/chases between tank rows and in columns. You will want
your room to be flexible over time...adding new electrical or plumbing
runs is a pain in the neck through 4x4s in the wrong place.
A work table is paramount...give up some tank space for a person space.
My stereo is a critical need. I spend hours with the fish and the music
helps.
My heater is controlled by a wall mounted thermostat...the fan by
another. Don't rely on the equipment internal controls...they are cheap
and can fault easily.
Leave a 1/4 inch (+) between the tanks. I place visual dividers between
some tanks and the gap has made it much easier to remove tanks for
cleaning.
I am amazed at how often I use the workbench, the power tools, the
torch, the bench vise...
likewise, I thought with a temperature controlled room I would never
need a tank heater...and so under wired the rooms. I am currently adding
more plugs.
If you really want to see your fish your choices of stand systems is
limited to two rows (levels) of vertical racks or three rows in steps.
That lower level just doesn't get the attention of the middle and upper
levels. If you are planning a semi-commercial venture...the bottom space
will more than likely become tanks...just beware that those tanks
require the same care and the middle row (my favorite).
Lighting is an issue that you should design for up front...it's coupled
with that channel/chase idea earlier. I use ambient lighting from the
ceiling fixture for most tanks.
A sink is nice. I would like to have had hot water though.
A refrigerator is nice.
My microwave is valuable.
The blower is great...it's the exhaust that makes most of the noise...I
built a muffler. The air pipes should be designed along with the tank
racks. Use radial electrical corners for better efficiency.
Good luck,
Jim
--
High Prairie Farms