Re: New Fish Room

In a message dated 10/29/98 10:14:39 PM Mountain Standard Time,
mikejacobs@ij.net writes:

> Have fun and help me make this 30 year dream happen....throw in your
>  suggestion!

If you slope the floor, which sounds good, how do you get the stands level?
Tricky, huh?  There was a LFD in Tonawanda, NY called "Scalare Hatchery, which
during the early 60's was just that.  The back 3/4 of the store was set up
with a sloped concrete floor, and concrete "risers" every so often which were
level, and had pipes built into the lowest corner of each section to allow
drainage between them.  The stands all stood on these risers, which were level
with each other on the top.  They could drain water from the tanks straight
down to the true floor.  They laid planks across the risers for walking on.
If it were me, I would do this and use bricks with holes in them sunk into the
floor and risers to drain between the sections.

Also, I would run plenty of electric circuits on enough breakers to provide
50% more power than you anticipate needing.  I would run them along the
cieling, and install twist type three-prong outlets to hold the lines from the
tank stands secure.  I would build a complete circuit on each stand, with
standard three-prong outlets, for heaters, filter pumps, etc.  Then I would
get a central "Monster pump" for an air supply, and feed PVC with screw-type
couplings at each stand, just in case I need to move one of the stands for
something.

Bob Dixon