Re: unitentified sp.

Mayalauren@aol.com wrote:

> In a message dated 10/7/98 1:27:35 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
> apistowise@bewellnet.com writes:
>
> << > p125
>  > Top left A.diplotaenia
>  > top right A.diplotaenia
>
>  Nope, A. diplotaenia doesn't have a lyre tail nor such wide, even rows of
> spots on
>  the tail. Someone want to try again? >>
>
> Okay... How about A.sp Rio Mabo?

Sorry, but it doesn't belong to the diplotaenia-group. A. sp. Rio Mabo has a
round tail. Hint: this species is part of the elizabethae-complex and usually
doesn't show the lower band so prominently.

> Page 123 I'm going with A. sp Mamore Blue.

Excellent! The lateral band that gets broader toward the tail is diagnostic of A.
sp. Mamoré. Note the lack of the diagonal band (only an anal spot). Doesn't it
have a red tail, making it A. sp. Mamoré (Red)?

> Page 125 bottom left
> page 128 Top left A. sp Wangenfleck.

Good guess, but not quite on the mark. It is a member of the resticulosa-complex,
like A. sp. Wangenflecken. It has a slightly more elongate body than
Wangenflecken. The lateral band is broader and the dorsal fin is lower. This fish
also has a slightly lower, broader, caudal peduncle spot than does Wangenflecken.
Hint: this fish is thought to occur in the middle Amazon because all imported
specimens have come from Manaus.

>                top right  A. resticulosa

Right group (regani-group) but wrong complex (it belongs to the caetei-complex).
Hint: this fish come from the Isla de Marajó, the gigantic island at the mouth of
the Amazon River.

>                mid.right A. cf Pertensis

Close, but close only counts in horseshoes and hand grenades! It is a member of
the pertensis-group. Its body is much more stocky than that of A. pertensis and
the dorsal is lower. Hint: how many abdominal spot-stripes are there?

> And damn the rest of them ! :-)

That's exactly what virtually every person who has tried to spawn this species
has said! Hint: it, too, is a member of the elizabethae-complex and both fish are
the same species, believe it or not. The color pattern on the tail varies
according to which Rio Negro tributary it has been collected out of.

Mike Wise