Re: newbie needs help -Reply

My understanding is that at around pH 7 most ammonia (NH3) has been transformed into the less harmful ammonium ion (NH4+). This ion is too large to pass through the membranes of the gills into the blood stream like ammonia can. The problem occrus when the pH rises, due to buffer-rebound or addition of more alkaline water during water changes. Once the pH moves into the basic side of the pH scale more and more ammonium is transformed into ammonia. The more basic the pH the more ammonium is transformed, causing ammonia poisoning in your fish. This is one reason to alway use replacement water of a similar pH, especially on new tanks.

It should also be noted that biological filtration (for ammonia) is virtually useless in tanks with pH values below 5.5. The bacteria shut down (possibly die) at the low values we use in black water breeding tanks.

Mike Wise

IDMiamiBob@aol.com wrote:

In a message dated 10/15/98 1:09:28 PM Mountain Daylight Time,
William_Vannerson@ama-assn.org writes:

> I'm not an expert on using peat, but my understanding is that the more
>  you use, the more frequent you should make water changes.  The toxity
>  of amonia is worse.
I was under the impression that ammonia toxicity increases as pH goes UP,
rather than down.  Someone who can definitely confirm me as right or wrong?

Bob Dixon