Re: Aqualog revisions

Mayalauren@aol.com wrote:

> I just want to thank Mike...It was good fun, but more than that, it's really
> given me a sense of what to look at/for when trying to identify apistos.
> Before we finish though, are there any in L & S/ B&M that we haven't discussed
> yet?

I know of only 3 mis-ID'd fish in the Linke & Staeck (1994) book:

Page 40/42: This isn't the true A. caetei, but a close relative called A. sp.
Paraguay (Koslowski) & A. sp. Paraguay I (Aqualog).

Page 49: Again, possibly not A. eunotus, but a very closely related species called
A. sp. Orangeschwanz (Orange-tail) by Linke & Staeck (1984) and Koslowski.

Page 116 & 117: Not the true A. resticulosa, but A. sp. Wangenflecken
(Cheek-spotted) from the mouth of the Amazon.

I haven't read all the way through Mayland & Bork yet, but I do know that there
are some text and photo errors.

> Or we could go on to identifying females! :-)

> Jason

Koslowski started an excellent study on differentiating female apistos a couple of
years ago. The original article differentiated females by species-groups for the
most part. I haven't heard of any subsequent articles. Does anyone know any more
about it?Mike Wise