Re: Genetics and natural selection

Hello All,

I've been waiting for someone to bring genetics to this string.  I was
wondering specifically about the effects of inbreeding depression.

Others have spoken of the benefits of breeding a strain of apistos through
more than two generations with regards to keeping a variety of species in
the hobby, but perhaps this inbreeding also becomes a factor in the poor
parenting skills of subsequent generations.  If deleterious genes can
accumulate and effect other aspects of survival, then why not parental
behaviour

Take the blue ram as an example.  I like this fish, but would never spend
money on anything but wild caughts.  I find that breeding aside (WAAAY
aside),  just keeping Asian bred blue rams and Asian bred "German" blue rams
ALIVE can be a hit or miss proposition.  If these "power bred" farmed fish
are so messed up genetically that they can't necessarily stay ALIVE, then
what is that suggesting about potentially hard wired behaviours like brood
care? Is it any coincidence that the relatively newer (and potentially less
inbred) M. altispinosa has both better rates of survival and seemingly brood
rearing as well? Is it any coincidence that others have reported similarly
successful experiences with  blue rams when they first entered the hobby
decades ago?

Please note that I am not against breeding a line of apistos for multiple
generations, I enjoy the fact that a wider variety of species are available
because of this.  I am only suggesting that the potential effects of this
inbreeding be considered along with the volatile
" to pull the eggs or not to pull the eggs " debate.

Just My 2 Cents

Andy
samaroo@aracnet.net