Re: Wangenfleck/Rotwangen

Mike & Diane Wise wrote:

> Marco,
>
> These two species are easy to separate. A. sp. Rotwangen is a member of the
> caetei-complex and A. sp. Wangenflecken is a member of the resticulosa-complex.
>
> A. sp. Rotwangen is very similar to A. caetei and may be only a very colorful
> population of the same species. Koslowski says that A. sp. Rotwangen has broader
> bands separated by narrower interstitial areas while A. caetei has bands and
> interstitial areas of equal width. Schmettkamp's book (page 53 top) has the best
> picture of A. sp. Rotwangen I've seen. He lists it as A. caetei. His photo
> doesn't show the beautiful blue color of the flanks and gill cover, however.
> Koslowski's book shows another photo of this fish on page 64 bottom. For those
> who don't have these books, there are photos of it in Richter's Complete Book of
> Dwarf Cichlids on page 128 top right and Aqualog book page 28, 3rd row down,
> right (S03432-3) listed as A. caetei "BELEM". This is a fairly large apisto for a
> regani-group species. I had males grow to 3.5" (9 cm) TL. This is a fish that I
> had 15 years ago and really enjoyed. It was easy to breed and very good looking.
> Please, bring it back into the hobby, PLEASE!!!!

Sure, will keep you informed!!!
By the way, have you seen the Apistogramma which I've collected at the
town of Primavera, and which Kullander identified as A. caetei? Julio
Melgar got some from me; do you think it is like A. sp. Rotwangen, or
more like A. caetei?

> A. sp. Wangenflecken looks very much like A. taeniata, but has a slightly lower
> dorsal fin, with shorter posterior extensions, and a tail fin with very few, very
> pale, vertical rows of spots in the central posterior part. The caudal peduncle
> spot is oval in A. sp. Wangenflecken, more square in A. taeniata. Spots on the
> cheeks of A. sp. Wangenflecken can be either fine and small or large blotches and
> vermiform stripes of rusty red-brown color. Linke & Staeck's book shows a finely
> spotted form on page 116 (English version and 4th revised German edition) listed
> as A. resticulosa. Schmettkamp shows a large spotted form on page 93 (bottom)
> listed as A. resticulosa. Koslowski shows one with vermiform lines on page 61
> (bottom right, female bottom left). The fish listed in Aqualog as both A. sp.
> "ALENQUER" and A. sp. WANGENFLECKEN/GILLSPOT" might be the same fish, I can't see
> the diagnostic tail section, but the color is wrong (Mine were fish belly white
> with a blush of blue.). This is a small species, rarely growing over 2" (5 cm)
> TL. It was an easy breeder and fairly prolific. It is one of the apistos reported
> to have undergone female to male sex reversal, being fertile as both a female and
> male. This is another, not super spectacular, but desirable fish for beginners
> and old pros alike.

> Hope this helps.
>
> Mike Wise

Fine, thanks a lot for your help.
I would like to read your opinion on Primavera's fish (I mean the one
I've collected, not the one previously in the hobby, if they are
distinct).
Cheers.