Re: Wangenfleck/Rotwangen

Marco,

These two species are easy to separate. A. sp. Rotwangen is a member of the
caetei-complex and A. sp. Wangenflecken is a member of the resticulosa-complex.

A. sp. Rotwangen is very similar to A. caetei and may be only a very colorful
population of the same species. Koslowski says that A. sp. Rotwangen has broader
bands separated by narrower interstitial areas while A. caetei has bands and
interstitial areas of equal width. Schmettkamp's book (page 53 top) has the best
picture of A. sp. Rotwangen I've seen. He lists it as A. caetei. His photo
doesn't show the beautiful blue color of the flanks and gill cover, however.
Koslowski's book shows another photo of this fish on page 64 bottom. For those
who don't have these books, there are photos of it in Richter's Complete Book of
Dwarf Cichlids on page 128 top right and Aqualog book page 28, 3rd row down,
right (S03432-3) listed as A. caetei "BELEM". This is a fairly large apisto for a
regani-group species. I had males grow to 3.5" (9 cm) TL. This is a fish that I
had 15 years ago and really enjoyed. It was easy to breed and very good looking.
Please, bring it back into the hobby, PLEASE!!!!

A. sp. Wangenflecken looks very much like A. taeniata, but has a slightly lower
dorsal fin, with shorter posterior extensions, and a tail fin with very few, very
pale, vertical rows of spots in the central posterior part. The caudal peduncle
spot is oval in A. sp. Wangenflecken, more square in A. taeniata. Spots on the
cheeks of A. sp. Wangenflecken can be either fine and small or large blotches and
vermiform stripes of rusty red-brown color. Linke & Staeck's book shows a finely
spotted form on page 116 (English version and 4th revised German edition) listed
as A. resticulosa. Schmettkamp shows a large spotted form on page 93 (bottom)
listed as A. resticulosa. Koslowski shows one with vermiform lines on page 61
(bottom right, female bottom left). The fish listed in Aqualog as both A. sp.
"ALENQUER" and A. sp. WANGENFLECKEN/GILLSPOT" might be the same fish, I can't see
the diagnostic tail section, but the color is wrong (Mine were fish belly white
with a blush of blue.). This is a small species, rarely growing over 2" (5 cm)
TL. It was an easy breeder and fairly prolific. It is one of the apistos reported
to have undergone female to male sex reversal, being fertile as both a female and
male. This is another, not super spectacular, but desirable fish for beginners
and old pros alike.

Hope this helps.

Mike Wise

p.s. I just got a message from Myongsu Kong today who got the following letter
yesterday:

Dear Mr Kong

Thanks a lot for your email. The title "Die Buntbarsche der Neuen Welt -
Zwergcichliden" is still in work (good books need a lot of time....) I'm
afraid it won't come out before autumn 2000. That's all I can tell you for
the moment, apart from that we don't have any books from the old edition on
stock for quite a while. But thanks for your interest.

Best wishes

Sigrun Wagner
Sigrun Wagner,
Rechte und Lizenzen
Verlag Eugen Ulmer

Autumn 2000!!! I CAN'T WAIT THAT LONG!! AAARRRGGGHHHH!!!!!