Re: splash tetra Photo on the web

Sorry, Kaycy,

The fish you show on your web page isn't Copella arnoldi, the true
Splash Tetra.
It looks like one of the members of the Pyrrhulina brevis-group. The
true C.
arnoldi is a much more slender, elongate species. The male's upper
caudal lobe is
more elongate and pointed than yours.

Your deeper bodied species (for a pyrrhulinid) probably is P. brevis
collected in
the lower Rio Negro around Manaus. There are several different forms
(species?)
of this fish coming from Colombia (Upper Amazon tributaries & Rio Meta),
Rio
Negro, Rio Guaporé(?), and the Rio Paraguay-Paraná. Whether one or more
species,
all are known to breed on a flat stone or horizontal leaf.

Don't feel bad, Kaycy, this is the fish usually sold as the Spash Tetra,
so you're not alone. Guess I'm still looking.

Mike Wise