Re: Rams de-selection

Joel,

I for one don't condemn any kind of breeding except for most purposeful crossing
of species and their sale (Red Parrot Cichlid, Yuck!! Red Velvet Sword are great.
I just wish you could find them that looked like they did in the 60s & 70s.).
Rams were messed up long before you got into raising them, unless you've been
doing it for the past 50 years. The original Rams were imported to Florida in
1947 or 48 and were bred just like angels. Hobbyists had no problems breeding
these fish. Around 1955 - 1960 aquarium articles mention increasing difficulties
in breeding these fish at home with the parents. Five to 10 years of pulling eggs
seems to have removed the parental instincts in commercial fish. Commercial
breeders, like you, do this for a valid reason. There's nothing wrong with this.
We have to realize that 99%+ of all Rams sold are not for breeding, but for show
just like angels. For me, however, I've had more success with wild Rams than
domestic, both breeding and healthwise (mostly because of the preponderance of
problem Asian bred fish in commercial circles). If I want Rams for breeding I
will always buy wild or search out parental raised offspring from a
hobbyist/breeder.

Keep up the good work.

Mike Wise