Re: parasites from beyond

Gary,

It sounds like you had one of the tropical fish lice, possibly Argulus chromidis
(there are about 50 known). This is a relative to the Argulus foliaceus which is
more commonly seen on goldfish. They're nasty little beggars that use a spine to
puncture the skin so that the tube mouths next to it can suck the juices right
out of a fish. They reach 5 - 8 mm in diameter. I usually found them on unarmored
South American catfish (big pimelodids and jaguar cats). Big fish don't like them
but survive; small fish die. It's a crustacean that should be easily controlled
with most antiparacite medications.

Mike Wise