Re: Biotecus Opucalaris

Tim Ellis wrote:

> Has anybody worked with these fish before? I have a pair coming in this
> week. I read the Mayland Bork article and they seem to think these are
> easy fish to keep and breed. The importers on the other hand seem to
> differ. Had a really tough time finding anyone who would import them.
> Something about them needing high oxygen levels and that they always
> die. Mine are coming from germany, I would like to have wild but oh
> well. Any help or feed-back would be much appreciated.
>
> Thanks all,
>
> Tim

Tim,

I have collected B. opercularis in the middle Rio Negro and found them
to be only somewhat delicate. We lost a few in holding, but none in
transport back to Canada. In the aquarium they did well in VERY soft
water (carbonate hardness of less than 5 mg/l) at a pH of about 5.0
(similiar conditions to their natural habitat) with a temp of about 29
C. They did prove somewhat tolerant of higher values for both carbonate
hardness and pH, but seemed better off with the lower values. They
accepted frozen bloodworms, glassworms, frozen Daphnia and live Daphnia
sp. and whiteworms. Not big on prepared foods (flakes and pellets). They
lived in a 15 gallon tank and at no time was there elevated levels of
aggression resulting in physical damage. There were plenty of hiding
spots in the tank in the form of flowerpots and wood pieces and plenty
of live plants. There was a start of courtship activity, but the
aquarium was taken down in favour of other higher priority fish -
decisions governed by a bigger picture!

Hope this helps.

Lee Newman
Curator of Tropical Fishes
Vancouver Aquarium Marine Science Centre