Re: Biotecus Opucalaris

>Has anybody worked with these fish before? I have a pair coming in this
>week. I read the Mayland Bork article and they seem to think these are
>easy fish to keep and breed. The importers on the other hand seem to
>differ. Had a really tough time finding anyone who would import them.
>Something about them needing high oxygen levels and that they always
>die. Mine are coming from germany, I would like to have wild but oh
>well. Any help or feed-back would be much appreciated.
>
>Thanks all,
>
>Tim

Tim,

Biotoecus is a blackwater dwarf cichlid - not too happy in our hard alkaline
tap waters.
They have a reputation for being very difficult but I dont think they are
that bad.  "Expose them to air and they're dead" was what I was told.
Apparently the specimen that Jeff Cardwell collected last year in Brazil
hadn't heard that comment.  I had them briefly a few years ago and I found
them no more difficult to keep than Taeniacara candidi.

Vinny