Re: Apistogramma sp. Schwarzsaum

The following was taken from the web page of the ICZN regarding changes in the
Code effective Jan. 1, 2000.

Changes affecting publication

   9. A work not printed on paper (e.g., on a laser disk) issued after 1999 in
numerous identical
    and durable copies may be regarded as published if supplemented by identical
copies
    deposited in at least 5 named and publicly accessible libraries.

 10. For purposes of zoological nomenclature, the following kinds of material
will be regarded
    as unpublished:

        (a) electronically distributed text or illustrations;
        (b) down-loaded copies or printouts of such material;
        (c) abstracts of papers, posters, lectures, etc., issued to participants
at congresses,
        symposia and other meetings but not otherwise published;
        (d) separates (reprints or offprints) distributed after 1999 in advance
of the date of
        publication specified in the work of which the separate forms part, but
preprints
        incorporating their own date of distribution may be published works.

So as you can see, the ICZN takes a dim view of electronic publishing of new
species.

There is also some thought to not accepting species described in publications not
indexed by the Zoological Record. This would include most hobbyist magazines.
Such descriptions could be validated, however, if the Zoological Record is
informed of its existence within 6 months of publication. I don't know if this
proposal has been accepted or not.