Re: How to sex gold ram and agassizii

> Hi,
>     Can someone give me some tips on how to sex the above fishes? The
> rams are at least 1.5 in and the agassizii are about 1.5-2 in. Thanks

Since most of the gold rams come from the far east, most of
them will probably be males.  THe usual method I use on
normal rams of blue speckles in the mid body spot for
females will obviously not work here.  Another trate is
that females often have a bright gold line flanking either
side of the spot.  This may be visible as a brighter gold
colour than the rest of the fish.   Otherwise look for body
shape females being a bit more plump.

On the agas look out for the coloured markings appearing in
the caudal fin of males, at 2" they should be sexable.
Most females will not reach 2" TL at all.

Ken.