Re: mixing water

Tom,

Just curious. I consider a fish bred only when it produces viable fry that can
grow to maturity. If they spawn and only produce eggs or non-viable fry, I
consider this spawning not breeding. So from my why of thinking you didn't breed
checkerboards until they were placed in soft water. I agree with you, however,
that 80ppm, ~ 4.5ºdH, is soft enough for most black water species. Many breeder
feel that it is the carbonate hardness that inhibits soft water fish eggs from
hatching. I wonder how many hobbyist claim they "bred" a certain fish when all it
did was spawn for them. The trick is to get viable fry. Just my opinion.

By the way, anyone who can get Satanoperca daemon to survive, much less reproduce,
has my respect.

Mike Wise