Re: C. regani spawn!!

Andy,
You are very fortunate with the spawning but if I were you I would remove the other occupants and maintain this tank as a species tank, gradually reducing the pH.   I would have thought for Regani your pH 7.8 was too high, just goes to show how flexible species can be.  Should this not be in the range of pH 5.5 - 6.0 as mentioned by Vinny.  At present I am using his guidlines in setting up a tank for the arrival of 3 pairs of wild Cr.Regani Santarem.
Best of luck,
Helen

Hey...shows how much I know! :-)   Congratulations Andy!

Ummm C. regani spawning at pH 7.8 is a bit unusual but like I said in one of my previous posts, I find they are more influenced to spawn by the amount of live food present than anything else. Of course, a compatible pair and clean water helps.  C. regani is found almost through out Brazil except the east coast and thus are found sometimes in water that is occasionally neutral or even slightly alkaline.  They are not strictly blackwater fish. I am not surprised that they spawned in alkaline water but I am that the eggs hatched.  Also, Andy's fish are F2 - perhaps that had something to do with it.

Vinny