antibiotics;

"G.Harold" <Graham@hgu.mrc.ac.uk> wrote: <<<<<
Subject: antibiotics
Has anyone used the following successfully and at what dosage and time
interval.
Tetracycline, Chloramphenicol>>>>>>

To some extent, everything depends on what problem you have to solve!
For general info on tetracycline, any fish health book should contain
general recommendations (turn lights off because it is photosensitive,
change water if it turn brown because some breakdown products may
be toxic to the fish, etc.). A common dose is 1g/100 liters for four days.
For CAF, as others pointed, there are some
issues which make its choice not particularly warranted.
If available, doxycycline may be a more active choice than tetracycline.
I prefer to use nifurpirinol (Furanace in the US), which is very active on
skin and gill infections common after shipping or pH crashes, not too
hard on biofiltration, well packaged, and relatively inexpensive.
If bacterial infections are due to water quality problems (and the
majority are), it is imperative to first remove the primary cause.
It is also important to remember that true primary bacterial infections are
relatively rare, while most often problems are due to water quality,
or parasites.

 "Joe Anderson" wrote: <<<<levamisole HCL
Thanks for the acknowledgments on the Web page, but
I think most of the credit should go to  Ken Laidlaw from
whom I obtained the recommended dosage (I know his
name is there; I just wanted to clarify he deserves more
than I do!).

Dionigi Maladorno
dionigi.maladorno@roche.com
This message presents personal opinions which are not necessarily those
of my employer.