Re: Artificially hatching Ram Eggs

You may be about to start the debate about leaving the
parents with the eggs and to let them raise them as
cichlids  do naturally.  This for me is the main enjoyment
that can be gained from keeping cichlids.

I would never (unless I had the last specimens on earth)
remove the parents (except the male with some apisto
species after several failed attempts). If they do not want
to raise the fry themselves I have no interest in breeding
them.

Cheers,
Ken.

> Hello all
> It's been my experience that I have a hard time artificially hatching
> ram eggs.   I don't have this problem with anyother of the dwarf
> cichlids I keep.   What I've been successful with, is leaving the male
> with the eggs .   I remove the female as she tends to eat the eggs or
> fry.  When the eggs become wigglers I remove the male from the tank as
> well.  Once the eggs hatch and become wigglers the hard part for me
> over.   They will become free swimming in a few days and then I start
> feeding microworms and newly hatched brine shrimp to the tank.   What
> your water quality as the fry are sensitive for the first couple of
> weeks.   Good luck with them!
>
> John Wubbolt
> Tupper Lake NY

Ken Laidlaw