ph, gravel, and filters

I posted a question about two weeks ago
describing my difficuties acheiving a
low ph in my 45 gallon tank.

Based on responses to the list, I conducted
an experiment where I placed various rocks
and gravel in pie tins with disilled water
then tracked the ph.

Unfortunately I got no diffinative answers.
As expected the distilled water by itself
maintained a ph of about 6.0.  The ph of
the tins with other stuff in them were always
higher.  Most reached equilibrium between 6.8
and 7.2.  However, the one with gravel went
upt to 7.6.  Further the one with gravel was
the only one the bounced back to alkiline
territory after I put ph Down in the pie tin.

I am moving this weekend and can move my fish
to a currently empty 20 gallon.  I intend to
replace the gravel in the 45 since it is the most likely suspect.

Two days ago I bought some epoxy covered gravel
made by Top Fin, I think.  I put some in a pie
tin, rinsed it with distilled water, then added
some ph 6.0 distilled water to the tin.  24 hours
later the ph of the tin was 7.2.  Has anyone used
epoxy covered gravel with success?  I am not done
with it yet, I am going to add ph Down to see if
the ph bounces with the epoxy covered gravel.

The other theme from the responses to the list was
peat.  I am thinking of augmenting my UGF w/powerheads
with an externel canister filter like Fluval so I
can use peat.  Are these filters quiet?  This is
an important consideration.  I presently get very
nice filtration with the UGF and 35kg of gravel.
Sould I replace the UGF or augment it?  This is not
a breeding tank.  Also, I presently use only plastic
plants.

Thanks for any advice.  Especially any ideas about
why the ph rises in the pie tins containing more than
distilled water.

Paul Evans