water chemistry

I should be getting my A. cacatuoides in the next few days.  A little
puzzled about by tap water though.

It runs about 3.5 dGh out of the tap.  I have been using it as is for our
Pencil Fish and Tetras.

The thing that is weird is that the pH of the tank always runs about 7.8.  I
would think that with this soft of water, that the pH would stabilize lower.

Any ideas on this?  Do you think that my new cichlids will be happy with it,
or should I take steps to lower the pH a bit?

Mike Roberts
*DataWest Internet - Nationwide Access
*Colorado Springs - http://www.datawest.net
*(719) 635-9999 - (877) DATAWEST
*Virtual Webhosting - FrontPage - Ecommerce