Re: ph, gravel, and filters

Hi,
You can do a simple test to see if the gravel you plan to
use will raise the pH/hardness of water.  Put a small
sample in a glass and add vinegar to it.  If you see
vigourous fizzing of bubbles then the gravel contains lime
(or some other substance) which will leach into the water
and raise the pH.

I use childrens play sand in my tanks.  This is available
in toy stores very cheaply.  20kg cost only 3UKP (~5USD).
It needs very thorough rinsing but after that looks good in
the aquarium and perfect for the small mouths of Apistos.
They like to chew it up and sift it through their gills in
search of food.

An alternative is silica sand which you can probably buy
cheaply as swimming pool filter sand.  I haven't used this
but hear it is OK.

Ken.

Ken Laidlaw
UK Astronomy Technology Centre