Re: ph, gravel, and filters

Walter,

Dave at Valley Pets bought his black sand from ME about 10 years ago when I was
in pet supplies wholesale. I sold it in various sizes, but it was withdrawn by
the supplier after a year or so.

As Ken mentions, it did have some bits of mollusk shell in it, ~10% in coarse
grades but much less in finer grades. The black grains are actually basalt
(lava). The green glassy grains were olivine, a common component of tholeitic
(oceanic) basalts. Basalt is relatively brittle (for a rock) so it disintegrates
quickly in nature. That's why you don't see very many black beaches around the
world. In an aquarium it is inert and should last a thousand lifetimes (yours,
not your fishes').

Mike Wise