Re:Slow growers (was: Aggie "Alenquer")

--IDMiamiBob@aol.com wrote:
So far all of the ones I've raised.  A. bitaeniata, cacatuoides,
aggie"orange
tail", borelli,and steindachnari.  Average is nine months to
maturity,as fast
as seven and a half, and as late as eleven.

Wow thats long! how often do you do water changes and what are your
stocking levels. A.borellii and A.cacatoudies sexualy mature for me at
4 months do u have a higly inbred line? ,mine are constantly croossed
back to wild stock to keep them strong. it's my experience that they
sexualy mature quickly and their life span is short.and i've been
breeding the species you mentioned on and off for about 10 years.

---IDMiamiBob@aol.com wrote:
In the wild, they would never have that much time with one spawn.  The
fry
> would naturally dissipate into the surrownding areas and become
separated from
> the brood.
The aquarium is not the wild. So we must treat it diffrently at times.
It has been my experience that females that have their eggs taken away
are disoriented and easily beat up by their tankmates. I prefer to sit
and enjoy her raising her young and giving her some time to rest and
recuperate, my opinion. Do you have data to prove this or is this your
assumption? This is how i do things it works just fine for me and i
produce a fair share of healthy Apisto's. I have a surplus of fish so
by resting my females I am also getting more blood and genetic
variability into my line, because i use another female who is just
waiting in line. Dont be so quick to judge how others do things we
must use this list to learn from each others experiences.

Dave

---IDMiamiBob@aol.com wrote:

> Dave writes:
>
>  What species
> >  in particuler have you had grow slow? what age to sexual maturity?
>
> So far all of the ones I've raised.  A. bitaeniata, cacatuoides,
aggie "orange
> tail", borelli,and steindachnari.  Average is nine months to
maturity, as fast
> as seven and a half, and as late as eleven.
>
> >  would be interested to compare notes. I know there are many
variables
> >  to consider. what are the others in the groups experiences? By
the way
> >  i dont pull the eggs on any of my breeders i allow mom to raise
them
> >  for a month in 5 1/2 gallon tanks with water sprite and java moss.
>
> In the wild, they would never have that much time with one spawn.
The fry
> would naturally dissipate into the surrownding areas and become
separated from
> the brood.
>
> >  this allows mother time to recoperate and feed and build up an egg
> >  supply.
>
> IMHO, the egg development happens in a matter of days, and is
triggered by
> proper spawning conditions.
>
> > avg life span is about two years for most of my dwarfs,
> >  probabaly due to so much breeding i'm sure.
>
> Not likely.  More likely just because that is the average of how
long they are
> good for in aquariums.  That is the Average, folks, I'm not sayying
you
> haven't had pairs that spawned for four years, because I have, too.
But two
> years is about how long they usually make it.
>
> Bob Dixon

Archives"!