Re: Freak Accident - Am I Dr. Kovorkian?

Michael,

It's not my stupidity, but about 2 months ago, I left my 29 gallon planted ram
tank in the "care" of my neighbor's teenage daughter.  The night before I came
home, the house sitter cleaned the inside of my tank with a 3M sponge that has
the green scrubber thing on one side.  She says within an hour of cleaning the
algae off the glass "so the fish could see out," all the fish were dead.
After I got home, I found the sponge, marked "Not for aquarium use." True, it
was brand new and had not been used with soap (just like I told her), but it
was treated with antibacterial chemicals.  Within a few days of the mass fish
death, all the plants lost all their leaves except for the Anubias, which hung
on to its leaves but turned yellow.  Now the leaves are all back, the plants
are out-competing the algae, the water is clear again, and the new rams are
spawning.  You may be a common place mugger of fish, but this little gal is a
gas chamber technician.

Holly