Re: Freak Accident - Am I Dr. Kovorkian?

Michael,

I think I've mentioned this before, but for new members here goes. Way back in
1978 I was give 6 Pv. taeniatus (Moliwe) fry. Back then they were so rare in the
hobby that they might as well have been on the endangered species list. I took
loving care of them and they grew to be 5 beautiful purple females and a striking
red/gold male. We didn't understand the relationships between water
chemistry/temperature and skewed sex ratios back then. I had them in a nicely
aquascaped 25 gallon tank with lots of rock caves for breeding sites. The male
held sway and the female danced around him continuously. Finally he chose a mate
and they started digging under a slab of rock to build their spawning site. I was
going to get fry!!! One sad day, while feeding my fish, I noticed that the male
taeniatus wasn't anywhere to be seen. After two days of not seeing him I really
got nervous. I found what was left of him under the rock slab. He had undermined
it and it had crashed down on him, crushing him in the process. For the next 3
years I tried to find another male for my females. No luck at all. No one had
any. Meanwhile the females continued their courting dances around Pv. pulcher
males who ignored them completely.

Mike Wise