RE: Apisto beginner summary and new questions ;-)

When recently tearing down my 60 gal Cacatuoides tank I counted 64 apistos
of varying sizes. This tank has sustained a colony, beginning with two males
and five females, for about three years. During this time I have taken out
at least 100 apistos for friends, my LFS, etc.

I have used piles of broken clay pots, lava rocks and coconut shells all
overgrown with Java fern and Anubias. The rest of the tank was planted with
swords and crypts and lots of oak leafs (always some floating plants as
well). This gives hundreds of possible hiding places and spawning caves.
Territories in a setup like this are smaller, and more shifting than with
fewer fish and hiding places. I have had great pleasure from observing (what
I believe) very natural cichlid behavior in this tank.

One of my original females for the above mentioned tank is still alive. I
think Cacatuoides is a fantastic fish for a dwarf beginner.

I fully agree with Ken, especially if they are kept in harems.
I use dithers primarily because I enjoy the show mom puts up when she
protects her young. My experiences with black neons is that an average
apisto female will have no problems defending a healthy spawn from them with
only minor losses.
If you set up a breeding tank with Cacatuoides or Borellii you problem will
not be producing fry but to get rid of them later...

Fredrik Nilsson